Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sizzix!


Having lots of fun with my Sizzix, I decided to make a fused art quilt - that's right, fused, with NO sewing. I wanted the project to be kid friendly, and ready to make for those with no sewing machines. I ironed a fusible web like Wonder Under or Heat n Bond to the back of my fabrics. Then I trimmed the fabrics to squares that would fit into the Sizzix machines. Next I just ran them through as you would paper. Nifty!

For the basket I fused the web to the back of the fabric and cut a "bowl" shape. I clipped it from the top edge toward the bottom to make rows of warp for my weaving, cutting almost to the edge but leaving a space so the pieces would stay together. With a second fabric I fused, and then cut strips for my weaving, over under on the first row, and under over on the next. Of course I had peeled the backing paper off after cutting. After weaving I trimmed up the edges and fused the basket to the background, following manufacturer's directions.
Then I removed the backing paper from my Sizzixed flowers and placed them on the background. Again following the manufacturer's directions for heat and timing I fused the flowers onto the quilt. Flower arranging was never so easy!
Finally I cut strips for my binding, from fabric with the fusible web ironed on the back. To cut I used a decorative blade on my rotary cutter. Then I folded the strips over the edges and ironed in place. Art Quilt, finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment